June is celebrated as Pride month. In honor of this time of the year, many companies reflect on their culture and seek out ways that they can be more inclusive within the work environment. Conversations about company culture are realigned and typically DEI takes center stage.
So what is DEI? Simply put, it stands for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Many companies use DEI to represent policies and initiatives within their culture that support these values. The goal of DEI is not just to provide equal opportunities, but to provide everyone at the company with the same advantages, regardless of circumstance.
DEI is a company saying to its employees, “we want you to love where you work.” Which is one of our main slogans and goals here at Workspace Designs!
In addition to practices and events, there are many physical adjustments that a company can make to support DEI within the office environment. Below are a few solutions that Workscape Designs can provide to help your team support diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Making alterations to current community areas. When you look to make changes within a break room or lounge area, for instance, we factor in the size and space to provide all users with an ease of use regardless of their physical limitations.
- Updating signage and creating way-finding solutions. Providing perceptible information that communicates effectively to the user, regardless of ambient conditions or the user’s sensory abilities.
- Decreasing sensory effects in the workplace considers the comfort level of those with neurotypical diversity, such as installing acoustical panels or sound dampening to ensure a quieter workspace.
- Methods to help employees to meet their own needs, such as for those who need a quiet atmosphere to be at their most productive. A great example of this is designating a space that is both comfortable and secure for mothers returning from maternity leave or employees with migraines.
- Innovative and customizable ergonomic solutions. We work with several vendors to get you the best pricing on office furniture designed to require low physical effort and provide support to employees.
Promoting culture and reflecting company values in the office environment is a great way to help employees feel like they belong and to show them that you care. Workscape Designs wants everyone to love where they work, and we can prioritize those needs in your design.
If you are looking to redesign your office environment or planning an office move, let us provide you with a design that is both useful and that accommodates a wide range of individual preferences and abilities. Contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting our website at www.workscapedesigns.com. #lovewhereyouwork #DEI